header.png

St Peter and St Paul, Charlton Horethorne

Charlton2.jpg

Because of the unusual construction of the church it is possible that the site of the current church in Charlton Horethorne was used as a place of worship before the conversion of the West Saxons in the 7th century.   Dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, it is likely that the first stone building was built around 1100 AD.   The building was enlarged in the 14th century with the far end of the chancel and the tower being added in the 15th century.   There was major restoration carried out in the 19th century together with the installation of the lych gate and the current church organ.   The church has a peal of eight bells, the earliest dating from the 14th century.   A fuller description of the church and its history can be found in a leaflet available at a small charge in the church.

See http://charltonhorethorne.com/village-church for more information.