header.png

St Peters, Goathill

IMG_5473b.JPG

The present church is a fine example of a small village church built in the Early English style of architecture, but sympathetically restored in the 19th century. It is believed that it replaced an earlier building as the font is, according to the Royal Commission survey of historic buildings, at least 100 years older. The present church is thought to have been built in about 1223 as there was a dispute in that year between members of the Monacute family over the rights to present a priest to the benefice.

The parish and village of Goathill, unlike other churches in the benefice, is in the County of Dorset. At the Domesday survey the manor of Goathill was held by Robert, Count of Mortain and was granted to the Montacute family in the 12th century.  In the 16th and 17th centuries it was held by different families and in about 1776 the Goathill estates were purchased by Lord Henry Digby.

The 18th farmhouse next to the church is believed to stand on the site of the ancient manor house. To the east of the church is the mill, which closed in 1925.